Inflammation and congestion of the sinuses can be for a variety of reasons, primarily allergens, as well as, dietary irritants like gluten and dairy. Before using herbs for healing, I suffered from sinus infections often. I was so confident in the symptoms; I was calling the doctor for antibiotics quarterly. My digestion suffered, my skin was broken out, and the cycle never stopped.
After studying herbs and homeopathy for over seven years. Here are my favorite remedies.
- Gluten, dairy, and sugar are common allergens that cause sinus infections. Try eliminating these foods from your diet if you experience frequent sinus infections.
- Encourage lots of green vegetables & soups
- Drink clear liquids and caffeine free tea.
- Make garlic toast: Toast some gluten free bread and top with Organic Olive oil and sliced raw garlic. Fresh garlic is known as an antimicrobial to aid with infections.
Symptoms of a sinus infection:
- A headache or heavy feeling in the head (sometimes with difficulty concentrating)
- Nasal congestion or nasal discharge
- Post-nasal drip (mucus dripping down back of throat)
- A sore throat (mucous dripping down can cause chronic irritation)
- A cough - wet or dry and usually all day
- Bad breath
- Moderate to high fever
- Take Echinacea tincture (you may need this for 7-10days) Take 30-40 drops 3-4x day in a little bit of water.
- Try Herb Pharm Immune Defense made with Echinacea root, Astragalus root, Reishi Mushroom, Schisandra berry & Prickly ash bark to build your immunity.
- Dab Lavender Essential oil on cheeks and under ears. PLEASE DILUTE with children. Do not use with children under three months of age.
- Add one drop of Thyme Essential Oil to a facecloth, place in the shower and let the steam help open your sinus's.
- Steam- Boil water and place one drop of Lavender Essential oil in the bowl, cover your head and steam for 20 min.
- Open your windows and clean the house to remove all possible allergens.
- REST, sometimes you have to be told to rest.
Along with these natural remedies, homeopathy may help.
- Take 30 C Kali Carbonicum if you have the following symptoms:
- Pressure, fullness and pain at root of the nose. Discharge is thick, ropy green-ish yellow, post-natal drip, violent sneezing; mucus tastes sticky, aching and fullness in global, worse with cold, 2-3am, suppressed catarrh.
- Take 2-3x day if symptoms are improving.
- STOP taking homeopathy if your symptoms get worse, you should feel your symptoms improving with each dose of homeopathy. For a sinus infection, you may have to take for 2 or 3 days, along with the tinctures and change of diet. Be patient and rest.
- If you have sinus infections often, I highly recommend getting rid of dairy. This shift, along with using herbs, has reduced my sinus infections immensely.